Our History

Riley Logo

1903 Riley Cars owner William Riley set up a business for his son Percy to manufacture engines and transmissions for the Riley bicycle and powered motorbikes. This was called the Riley Engine Company and developed and produced transmissions for his father's motorcycle business. It was based next to Cook Street Gate, Coventry.

1906 Riley Engine Company moves to larger premises in Aldbourne Road, Coventry.

1912 Percy Riley set up the independent Riley Engine Company and developed several successful models of Riley cars over the next 25 years.

1938 Riley cars was sold to Lord Nuffield who turned the business around making big changes to the old Riley structure. The Riley marque took off and was successful through the next decades through to 1969.

1938 Percy Riley retained the independent engine and gearbox plant and renamed it PR Motors Ltd.

1941 After Percy's untimely death, PR Motors continued to make transmission systems for the construction industry and it prospered and grew over the next few decades remaining on the site at Aldbourne Road, Coventry.

1966 PR Motors was sold to Newage Engineers where it became the transmissions division.

1974 Newage Transmissions Division was relocated into a new purpose built factory in Barlow Road, Coventry

1980 The Newage Transmissions division was re-acquired by PR Motors and became Newage Transmissions Ltd.

1986 The company became Newage Transmissions PLC following a senior management buy out.

1988 The PRM marine gearbox range was redeveloped.

2006 CommaTECH bought the company.

2008 The company is subject to a corporate buyout and becomes PRM Marine.

2011 PRM Marine develops a new range of Newage Ground Support axles.

2014 The NEWAGE range of Ground Support axles grows with the addition of three new products.

2014 Company changes it name to PRM Newage to reflect the 2 brands of product.

2016 A new range of PRM mechanical gearboxes introduced.